Smart* Data Set for Sustainability
The goal of the Smart* project is to optimize home energy consumption. Available here is a wide variety of data collected from three real homes, including electrical (usage and generation), environmental (e.g., temperature and humidity), and operational (e.g., wall switch events). Also available is minute-level electricity usage data from 400+ anonymous homes. Please see the Smart* home page for general information about the project, or the Smart* Tools download page for software that was used in the collection of this data.
Questions? All questions regarding these traces should be directed to Sean Barker.
All traces are in CSV format, with data fields named in the included FORMAT files. Please see our dataset paper for further details. Data collection and processing is ongoing, so check this page for future updates.
Update (Apr 2013): The initial dataset release contained incorrect environmental data for homes A and B. Corrected environmental traces have been posted.
- Home A
- Home B
- Home C
- Microgrid dataset
- Electrical data over a single 24-hour period from 443 unique homes: microgrid.tar.gz (3.5 MB)
- Smart*: An Open Data Set and Tools for Enabling Research in Sustainable Homes. Sean Barker, Aditya Mishra, David Irwin, Emmanuel Cecchet, Prashant Shenoy, and Jeannie Albrecht. Proceedings of the 2012 Workshop on Data Mining Applications in Sustainability (SustKDD 2012), Beijing, China, August 2012. pdf
- SmartCharge: Cutting the Electricity Bill in Smart Homes with Energy Storage. Aditya Mishra, David Irwin, Prashant Shenoy, Jim Kurose, and Ting Zhu. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy 2012), Madrid, Spain, May 2012. pdf
- SmartCap: Flattening Peak Electricity Demand in Smart Homes. Sean Barker, Aditya Mishra, David Irwin, Prashant Shenoy, and Jeannie Albrecht. Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2012), Lugano, Switzerland, March 2012. pdf
- Exploiting Home Automation Protocols for Load Monitoring in Smart Buildings. David Irwin, Anthony Wu, Sean Barker, Aditya Mishra, Prashant Shenoy, and Jeannie Albrecht. Proceedings of the 3rd ACM Workshop on Embedded Sensing Systems for Energy-Efficiency in Buildings (BuildSys 2011), Seattle, WA, November 2011. pdf
- The Case for Efficient Renewable Energy Management for Smart Homes. Ting Zhu, Aditya Mishra, David Irwin, Navin Sharma, Prashant Shenoy, and Don Towsley. Proceedings of the 3rd ACM Workshop on Embedded Sensing Systems for Energy-Efficiency in Buildings (BuildSys 2011), Seattle, WA, November 2011. pdf